Founding of Listowel Ontario Plaque
  Founding
Early Settlers
Schools
Railway
Council Projects
Churches
Professionals
Businesses
Officials
Index

John Binning
David D. Hay
W. H. Hacking
Founding of Listowel Ontario Plaque

Located on the north-east corner of Wallace Avenue North and Elizabeth Street East
Erected by the Ontario Heritage Foundation, Ministry of Culture and Recreation


Among the earliest settlers on the site of Listowel was John Binning who, tradition has it, became the community's first permanent settler in 1852.   Within four years D. D. Hay, one of the most enterprising early settlers, had erected a sawmill and a settlement called Mapleton developed.   On June 1, 1856, a post office named Listowel was opened and the community, with a population of 200, contained taverns and a general store operated by W. H. Hacking.   Ten years later the population had increased to 800 and the settlement became an incorporated Village. The arrival of a branch line of the Wellington, Grey and Bruce Railway hastened the Village's development and it became a Town with a population of 2,054 in 1875.